Don’t Let Mold Bloom in Your Home this Summer

Don’t Let Mold Bloom in Your Home this Summer

Jul 05, 2018

As the thermometer warms up after a long cold winter, sometimes the higher temperature reveals an unpleasant problem in your home — mold growth.
Maybe the moisture is in the basement or the attic where you used a humidifier or a furnace. These are ideal areas for mold to flourish. It can thrive in an AC unit, under a sink or behind a wall, or any other spot with a leaky pipe. Mold can also be the result of a frozen pipe that burst. Anywhere that moisture sits or continues to build, mold can develop and spread.

What Is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus and it exists all over the place. Mold spore can be found inside and in nature. There are countless varieties that we are exposed to regularly, usually without any issues. Mold spores break down or feed on organic matter.

Four factors are needed to grow mold and potentially cause problems: spores, a lot of moisture, the right temperatures, and a food supply.

How Does Mold Develop?

Many people believe that considerable water damage is responsible for mold development. However, anywhere there is a warm temperature and a lot of moisture, mold spores can thrive.

Mold Removal, Cleanup, and Remediation

Mold produces allergens that can lead to health problems. People with mold sensitivity experience a runny nose, headaches, sore throat, rashes and other unpleasant reactions. For some, the symptoms or long-term effects are severe such as chronic respiratory problems.

Mold can produce mycotoxins that are potentially toxic. These substances will exacerbate symptoms and immediate action must be taken. This type of toxic mold should only be handled by a certified, licensed mold removal professional. These trained individuals know how to take all the necessary precautions to avoid contaminating the rest of your home.

The Potential for a Mold Problem

Some common warning signs that indicate mold in the home include:

  • Cracked pipes, leaky roof, condensation around pipes or windows
  • Damaged drywall
  • High humidity or damp air
  • Musty odor or other strong smells
  • Noticeable mold on home surfaces. Depending on the type of spores it can be green, white, grey, brown, black, or other.
  • Organic building materials
  • Poor ventilation
  • Visitors or occupants have cold-like or allergy symptoms, or worse
  • You have experienced home flooding recently or in the past

Contact Lone Star to discuss mold remediation in your home if you are experiencing any of these problems.

Can You Clean Up Mold Yourself?

Depending on the extent of the mold damage, the answer is yes. A small area of non-toxic mold can be cleaned up using the proper precautions and the right cleaning agents. Here are some tips from the EPA regarding non-toxic mold clean up:

  • Never touch mold or moldy objects without wearing gloves. When handling strong cleaning solutions like chlorine bleach use gloves made of PVC, neoprene, polyurethane, nitrile or natural rubber.
  • Use detergent and water to scrub mold off hard surfaces. Never paint over it.
  • Were goggles without ventilation to protect your eyes
  • Wear a face mask that covers your nose and mouth to protect against airborne contaminants
  • Dispose of any porous moldy materials

For larger areas, consult with a mold remediation company in Spring, TX for professional cleaning with the proper precautions.